When looking for orchid pots I couldn’t find any colors I liked. So, I decided to paint some pots. This is my first:
For this pot, I painted a plain terra cotta orchid pot black. Next I dipped my brush in black paint and copper paint at the same time and painted over the black until I got a look that I liked. Then I brushed on Minwax Polyacrylic Satin – 2 coats. I don’t remember what black paint I used but the copper was acrylic craft paint. I applied the paints and clear coat with a foam brush.
Here are my next two pots:
These plain terra cotta pots were first painted with Rustoleum Universal spray paint in Satin Black. Rustoleum Universal has primer in it so it is designed to stick to a variety of surfaces. I only painted the outside of the pots and just enough inside the rim so any plants would not be contaminated by the paint. I don’t know if they would anyway but as a precaution that is what I chose to do.
The silvery one was then painted with Martha Stewart Precious Metals in Mirror Glass. I was planning to use the black paint as a primer only but I got such great comments about it that I did not paint a second coat of the Mirror Glass but instead allowed the black to show through. On the saucer I did paint to coats so the black is covered. I think it looks great both ways. Once the paint was dry, (about 24 hours) I protected the pot with Minwax Polyacrylic Satin – 2 coats.
The copper pot was painted in much the same way as my first pot but over the primer I used Behr Ultra Paint in Sweet Molasses instead of black. Since Behr Ultra can be purchased in sample sizes (8 oz) you can get it tinted in any color you want which is great for craft projects. It only comes in a flat sheen but that is fine since I usually would be using a clear coat on top anyway.
After the sprayed coat of Rustoleum Universal dried, I brushed the pot with Behr Sweet Molasses. When that coat was dry, I dipped my brush in Sweet Molasses and copper paint at the same time and without mixing the two colors painted the pot until I achieved the look I wanted. I waited about 24 hours then coated the pot with the satin clear coat – brushed on. This is so far my favorite look of the painted projects I have done. I plan to use it for other things.